es

Capitalization

NADB is capitalized in equal parts by the governments of the United States and Mexico.

Funded Capital

NADB has US$6 billion in total capital subscribed equally by the United States and Mexico. Contributions to date total US$415 million in paid-in capital and US$2.35 billion in callable capital.

(Millions of U.S. dollars)

Country

Paid-in Capital

Callable Capital

Total

Mexico

$212.50

$1,204.17

$1,416.67

United States

$202.50

$1,147.50

$1,350.00

Total

$415.00

$2,351.67

$2,766.67

* Excludes 10% of initial paid-in capital (US$45 million) and the associated callable capital from each country, which was allocated to domestic programs.
** Paid-in capital consists of cash funds contributed to NADB by the two governments.
*** Callable capital is composed of funds that are pledged to be provided to NADB from the two countries only if required to meet the bank's obligations on borrowings of funds for inclusion in its capital resources as specified in the Charter.

History

The original authorized capital was US$3 billion with equal commitments from the United States and Mexico. Each country authorized the subscription of 150,000 shares of the bank’s capital stock with a par value of $10,000 per share. Fifteen percent (US$450 million) of the authorized capital is in the form of paid-in capital and the remaining 85 percent (US$2.55 billion) is in the form of callable capital.

As set forth in its charter, 90 percent of the original capital subscription is being used to finance environmental infrastructure projects in the border region, while the remaining 10 percent of the capital subscribed by each country went to finance community adjustment and investment throughout the United States and Mexico in support of the purposes of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Consequently, of the US$450 million in paid-in capital, US$405 million relates to the environmental infrastructure program, while the remaining US$45 million was evenly divided between the two countries with each receiving US$22.5 million for their respective domestic program.

During 2016, the U.S. and Mexican Governments each subscribed an additional 150,000 shares of capital stock with a par value of US$10,000 per share, subject to the necessary legal requirements and availability of appropriations of the subscribing country. The additional capital is classified as 45,000 paid-in shares or US$450 million and 255,000 callable shares or US$2.55 billion. The subscription of members to paid-in and callable capital shall be in several installments, effective on or before December 31, 2016 through December 31, 2022 or such later dates as determined by the Board of Directors.

In September 2016, Mexico made its first contribution of additional capital of US$10 million, representing 1,000 paid-in shares, along with its commitment of the associated 5,666.67 in callable shares (US$56.67 million).