es

Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico

Basic Environmental Infrastructure Project Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas

Status: Completed Construction

Background

In recent years, air quality in the Ciudad Juarez-El Paso airshed has experienced steady deterioration from heavy traffic congestion, as well as from airborne dust and PM10 generated on unpaved roads and by the poor condition of existing pavement. An emissions inventory performed by the Mexican Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT) determined that unpaved roadways are the second largest source of airborne dust, and especially PM10, in Ciudad Juarez.

The city's roadway system consists of 3,211 miles (56,836,245 m2 ) of primary, secondary and collector/distributor lanes. Of the city's total roadway area, 63% has been stabilized with some type of pavement (35,847,602 m2 ), while the remaining 37% are dirt roads, mainly in residential subdivisions.

A pavement management system study conducted in 2007 determined that 57% of paved roads were in acceptable condition, 30% were in poor but still acceptable condition, and 13% were in unacceptable operating condition. In addition, the study revealed that paving activities have often been repeated on the same streets, for issues such as recurring pothole repairs, diverting investments from other paving deficiencies in the city. There is also a frequent lack of continuity in the roadway system, either because of topographic conditions or unplanned urban settlements in areas where future roadway connections are projected, which increases travel times and congestion.

To address these issues, the City is undertaking a major roadway project aimed at improving urban mobility and air quality through the construction or rehabilitation of paving and related road infrastructure and by interconnecting regional roadways with major intercity thoroughfares.

Description

The project consists of the construction or rehabilitation of 15 roadways and six vehicle overpasses, as well as the lining of a section of the 2-A drain with concrete. Approximately 1.42 million square meters (m2 ) of roadway will be paved: 25.9 km of new paving and 41.6 km of paving rehabilitation. The project includes concrete curbs and gutters, as well as the construction of storm water sewers and absorption wells when required. It also includes complementary works, such as the construction or replacement of sidewalks, waterlines, and street landscaping.

Benefits

The project will help improve air quality in the region by facilitating traffic flows and reducing travel times through improved road conditions. Specifically, new paving and roadway improvements are expected to prevent the emission of 677 metric tons/year of PM10, while better mobility will help reduce vehicle emissions, including an estimated 412 metric tons/year of volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions, 1,551 metric tons/year of carbon monoxide (CO) emissions and 270 metric tons/year of nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions. Better air quality in the region may also help El Paso County improve conditions influencing its designation as a non-attainment area for PM10. The project will also provide safer roadways for motorists and allow faster access for emergency services, such as police, firemen and ambulances.

Project Financing

Total Project Cost US 22.63M
NADB Funding US 9.88M - NADB Loan