es

Alton, Texas, USA

Wastewater Treatment System Improvements for the City of Alton,Texas

Status: Completed Construction

Background

Over half of the population of Alton falls below the poverty line. Moreover, 80 percent of residents make use of septic tanks while the remaining 20 percent use illegal pit privies. Surfacing of raw sewage compounds the poor public health situation.

Description

This project involves construction of a wastewater collection system and connections to the McAllen, Texas wastewater treatment plant. Wastewater flows will be transmitted to the city of McAllen North Wastewater Treatment Plant and treated to meet state and federal permit
limits and standards.

In order to serve Alton as well as meet the future growth of the McAllen community, the city of McAllen will construct – in two phases – additional plant treatment capacity in the amount of 4 millions gallons per day (mgd). Alton will purchase 2 mgd of the total treatment capacity. This capacity is sufficient to serve approximately 85 percent of the existing colonia subdivisions in the Alton service area.

Benefits

This project will eliminate on-site disposal systems which are failing because of inadequate soil conditions, thus having a direct impact on the health and well-being of Alton’s residents.

Project Financing

Total Project Cost US 14.47M
NADB Funding US M - NADB Loan
US 0.24M - NADB Grant: BEIF
US M - NADB Grant: CAP
US M - NADB Grant: SWEP
US M - NADB Grant: WCIF
Other Funding Partners Border Environment Infrastructure Fund
Institutional Development Cooperation Program (IDP)
Texas Water Development Board (TWDB)
United States Department of Agriculture - Rural Development (USDA - RD)